None but ourselves can free our minds




Deep in Ntuzuma, KZN on Saturday, I was reminded of a quote by the poet Kahlil Gibran. Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.
The occasion was a friend’s neighbour’s late grandmother’s two year death anniversary. The house was full - family, friends, teenagers, children, pregnant with Ubuntu. I was welcomed to what Thula our gracious host called “the VIP room”. Squashed into a corner was good; I saw without watching, people interacting with each other with love and respect. Drinks arrived, along with my tea; but of course, first there was a request for prayer. My friend suggested that I lead, and the gathering agreed. So I closed my eyes and asked Almighty God to bless this family and community; those who are poor, unemployed sick; in the new struggle for human rights, for service delivery, for peace and prosperity. And for God to help us remember that none but ourselves can free our minds. In those timeless moments it felt as if everyone was praying with me, lifting us, healing us.

Thandeka, Thula’s wife made me a delicious cup of tea, accompanied by uGogo’s speciality, dombolo, which I later got the traditional recipe for as she sussed me out, as I was told by those in the know. The men ate from trays of meat in the center of the room as I made friends with Buhle and we exchanged BBM pins. Summoned outside; I joined old uncles sitting around a fire and introduced myself to them, enjoying the conversations of a perfect weather evening, all around me. Soon enough I craved more tea; but instead of asking Thula to ask Thandeka, I thought I’d walk around and make the tea myself if she was busy.

As I greeted a roomful of women astonished to see an Indian person in their midst; I caught sight of the magnificent view in the distance - lights and stars seemed to collide in the glittering horizon. Bright lights - big city, I mused. A teenager approached me looking for a cigarette. We spent about 15 minutes sparring about whether he was old enough to ask the question. A small crowd of teens joined in and we chatted about school, looking for a job, and the Stand UP! Foundation. Sipho, 28, has a small landscaping business but his equipment broke. I asked Sipho to call me soon if he wanted to co-create an enterprise that creates employment. His gratitude was humbling as I begged him to call me Palesa and not “madam”. uGogo dispatched Thula to look for me and asked me to sit with her and the other Gogos, all around the pots of food they had prepared.

It was then that I met Eric. Eric is a caddie at Papwa Sewgolum golf course in Reservoir Hills, Durban, KZN. When Eric opened his mouth to sing, Hindi songs from Bollywood movies poured forth, mostly from his favourite actor (and mine) Amitabh Bachchan’s films. You see, Eric lived with an Indian family in Verulam many years ago. It was there that he learned about all things Indian, including spice-infused cooking. When he told me he considered himself half Indian, I believed him. This was real social cohesion. A short while later, or so it seemed; I heard talk of giving me another African name, Zulu this time. As I contemplated the honour, Thula talked about his business ideas and I offered to come back to explore how we can uplift this community through individual ideas and community values.

All too soon it was time to go; it may have taken us 15 minutes to get from the back of the house to the front as we greeted everyone and said our goodbyes. “Don’t forget me!” said Sipho. “I won’t!” I replied with a smile. As we drove home, in between enthused conversations; I reflected on my many life changing experiences, which I hope to share with people someday, every day.

As we heard in the last ANC policy conference; next year is the 100 year anniversary of that Land Act in 1913. 100 years of brutal oppression; followed by far too many years of self-imposed suppression. For our failure to overthrow the world financial mafia and economic hitmen pre- 1994 (and ever since); Gogo shouldn’t have to support 10 - 20 people on one pension; she should have glasses for her weary sparkling eyes; schools shouldn’t be “poor black schools”; 25% of our people shouldn’t be unemployed; and people shouldn’t have to suffer without water, electricity, real homes, and healthcare. In the struggle against economic apartheid - there is no race, class, gender division. Mayibuye Afrika, Mayibuye!
=====================================================================

Shabnam Palesa Mohamed is an activist, journalist, and attorney. She is the Founder - CEO of the Stand UP! Foundation.
She was nominated for Shoprite’s Woman of the Year Award (Youth Mover Category); she was also nominated for Sutra Magazine’s Business Woman of Choice and Young Leadership Mentor; and was featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine’s May ‘Go East’ edition as a KZN public figure – role model.
18 July 2012

Comments

Popular Posts