Foreign Nationals Attacked in Grahamstown (Ver 2.1)

I was just waking up, getting ready to start my day. I made me some cereal and cleaned up the space from my Final Fantasy jam last night.

I then heard one shot fired. Then 2. I thought it was a Rhodes #FeesMustFall thing but the gunfire sounded too close. it sounded like it came from behind the taxi rank near Bathurst Street. I was still charging my laptop and phone but I grabbed them, half-charged and ran out the door to go see.

Apparently the have been many serial killings here, of late. And the word on the street is that it's the Pakistani nationals who have been paying people to take body parts for muthi (black magic medicine) and the people used/hired are Black, local South African Nationals.

The issue has come to a head as the community then took it upon its self to attack the shops owned by Pakistanis. I have not heard of a Nigerian or Somalian shop attacked as yet.


I found the place looking like this.









There were two military helicopters surrounding the area. Over 10 cops on the frontline and many more on the police barrier built between Ultra Liquors and Bathurst Street. It's funny though. These people sing "struggle" songs.

Anyway, I'm now at Rhodes Campus, where there is more going on about #FeesMustFal. I can hear the songs and chants from the library. Sorry for the brief look. Will upload videos later.

Here is a picture of the helicopter that was circling the area..

The police blockade towards Barthurst Street. The police held the crowd off from reaching Barthurst. Shops along the way had already been looted.


The crowd at about 12pm






Comments

Popular Posts