In John Graham's Wet Shadow

My pen is moved by a stilt-man running from the rain.

My search for ascendency is now well noted.

I do not see the humour in circuses and carnivals. They are dark things to me. The "entertainment" is not entertaining. The torture and threat to life and limb is too stark. The costumes can't conceal it.

What happens when the stilt-man comes down? Who is the clown beneath the make-up? Is slapstick still a relevant, contemporary, necessary medium? The taming and training of animals for big tent antics. These are the things that assault my sleep, allaying it. Waylaying it. i absolutely love the stories where I read/see/discover that a circus tiger or lion at or mauled someone.

There have been, in Television history, quite a few representations of the dark side of circuses and carnivals. there have also been a few motion picture representations. Carnivale, American Horror Story, characters like Krusty the Klown or It the clown and suchlike. The circus doesn't take much for you to see that there is abuse and damage underlying the entertainment value. Here, I have been meeting clowns, stilt walkers, fire-breathers, contortions and all kinds of people whio work to entertain and amaze. And their bodies creak and groan in ways that speak of a life lived for others as much as it was lived for the self. How grateful are we truly for the sacrifices that are made to keep us entertained?

Here, I walk with the stilt walker. We are both seeking protection under John graham's wet shadow at the Rhodes Sports Club. He has a very interesting method of sitting down. he is seated to my right. I build a fence around my self with my journal and brandish a pen against any assailants. I keep thinking that there much be another term for the craft of stilt walking. There is an itch of doubt that keeps me wondering what that word is.

A rock band plays family-friendly tunes. I don't really do family-friendly Rock. The rain is incessant. But I must walk on.

Comments

Popular Posts