My NFL Passion (a small confessional)


Four years. I’ve been watching the NFL for four years. Funny thing is, that’s actually a long time. And it’s interesting to see all the changes that have taken place from 1 year to another both in and around the game. There’s, like any sport, lots of politics and economics going on. I am personally invested in the sport because of my interest in human potential and statistics. Look, I know many of the terms I use may often come with capital letters, but I don’t care much anymore. A school of thought is a school of thought.
There is this rule of kicking closer, I remember. Kicking from the 35, I believe. A big change. I think they use to kick from the 20 yard line. There was talk show banter about it for weeks, months even. But hits have been less severe. Ah yes, and the fines there are some ridiculous ones, like Unsportsmanlike conduct one on coaches and such.

I remember seeing Peyton manning perform for the first time. I think it was that 14 wins – 2 losses season they had in 2009-2010. Just to lose at the Superbowl. And it all came down to that one interception that shifted all momentum . I knew I loved the sport when I started feeling emotionally involved. I couldn’t believe one player could have such decision-making abilities, calcuylative ability and athletic insight. Foresight, hindsight, strategy, it all has to be in a Quaterback. I  thought the idea of the Quaterback was interesting and I still do. A decision maker. Some to entrust the calculative tasks to. A Mentat, if you will.

I see that I need that in my self. So I like to learn from others. It’s amazing to watch a Play take place. To see a unit focus on it’s task and perform it as the Head Coach would like it. I also like to see the Wide Receivers run their routes. The evasiveness and discipline that comes with the job is cool.

So I’ve see 4 Superbowl Champions. Who were they? Let me think about it… NO Saints, NY Giants, GB Packers and The B Ravens. Yes, good Superbowls all round. I was voting for the Colts, even on that terrible 13 loss season. I think it was 13 losses. Check them stats. It was just ugly what happened to them when they lost their brain, Peyton Manning. They even lost their Head Coach cause Peyton Manning wasn’t there.
I’m also a big NE Patriots fan. I like The Philly Eagles, too but they underperform when we really need them to step it up. Plus, Michael Vick has a blind spot the size of a bus. (There's been enough talk about the animal abuse. I won't discuss it here)

Anyway, just saying, I love the sport, I have my opinions. As a South African, I’m happy Supersport just bought the NFL screening rights for South Africa. Cause ESPN’s mass retraction from international broadcasting really hurt. I missed the pre-season this year. Not a single game seen. Still haven’t watched a whole game. I’m at work while the Bengals – Steelers game is repeating. That’s my luck. Just my luck.

Expect a few more things about Football that interest me. I am involved in many intellectual pursuits for my own interest.

(I think I’ll take a look at the Direct Snap as Philosophy, next)

Comments

Popular Posts